Thu05192022

Last updateMon, 15 Jun 2020 10pm

Back You are here: Home News Peoria's Grand Hotels

News

Peoria's Grand Hotels

Log in to save this page.
Hotel-Mayer-then
Hotel-Mayer-now.jpeg
National-hotel-then2
National-hotel-then
National-Hotel-now
Jefferson-hotel-now
Jefferson-hotel-then
Niagara-hotel-the
Niagara-hotel-now
Pere-Marquette-now
Pere-Marquette-then

Peoria Downtown Hotels: Then & Now

With the recent headlines concerning Peoria's downtown hotels, The Peorian celebrates a few of the grand hotels of 100 years ago.

Hotel Mayer
Opened April 1907. 162 rooms Destroyed by fire February 14, 1963. Three elderly residents were killed. Now on that site at Adams Street and Hamilton Boulevard is a Caterpillar Inc. office building that is part of its world headquarters.

National Hotel
Opened October 30, 1883. 200 rooms. Destroyed by fire November 12, 1911.
Peoria City fireman Chester Mooberry lost his life when a steel smokestack fell on him.

Now at the site of the National Hotel is an office building housing, among other professionals, several attorneys.

Jefferson Hotel
Opened in February 6, 1912. 300 rooms Razed in 1979 for the new Peoria Civic Center.

Niagara Hotel
Opened as a hotel in 1903. 110 rooms, 60 with a bath. Razed in 1968. Now at the Niagara Hotel site at Jefferson Street and Hamilton Boulevard is Hamilton Square, an office building whose tenants include attorneys and federal offices.

Hotel Père Marquette
Opened January 5, 1927. 400 rooms. Saved for future generations April 2012.

About the Author