- Published on Friday, 30 December 2016 14:13
- Written by PRNewswire
As a year draws to a close, it is common to reflect on the passage of time. How history will judge 2016 is not yet known, but this year's anniversaries are woven into the fabric of today.
- Two hundred years ago, the Supreme Court asserted its right to review state court rulings, and Indiana became our 19th
- One hundred years ago, the first Indian Day was observed in New York state, and the first Boeing airplane took flight.
- Fifty years ago, cigarette packs first began bearing health warnings, and Star Trek debuted.
- A century ago, the average life expectancy was 54.3 years for a baby girl and 49.6 years for a boy. Now, those figures are over 81 years for girls and 76.4 for boys.
You can find more facts about America from the U.S. Census Bureau online at www.census.gov.